 Space / 10620
Re: Low Earth Orbit is closer than you think!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:53:45 GMT

In lugnet.space, John J. Ladasky, Jr. writes:
In lugnet.space, George Haberberger writes:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~ghaberbe/stovepip.htm

Let me know what you think,

Hi, George,

I like it.  A little X-34, plus a little X-43.  You can join Lindsay Braun
in the "near future" category of Space builders.  Retractable landing gear,
too -- cool!  I'm wondering why you did the nose in white instead of dark
gray or black.

And I'm also wondering about propulsion.  You say that the model is a hybrid
scramjet/rocket.  Uhh, where's the airscoop for the scramjet?  And where's
the rocket exhaust nozzle?  Would a photo of the back of the model have
answered my questions?

Cheers!

Well, the whole underbody is the scramjet. At supersonic speeds, each change
in angle will produce a shockwave, so the bottom of the vehicle has been
cunningly designed to produce a series of compressive shockwaves (which also
contain the combustion) around the two wheel wells. Inside this compressed
area (which is still supersonic, but it may only be Mach 2 versus Mach 10 or
20 of the exterior flow), the hydrogen (liquid methane is much more
practical, having even more energy per weight, but I like hydrogen) is
injected and ignited by the heat of the flow and lasers for thrust. Finally,
the tailplane rotates up and down to function as an extended nozzle and
maximize thrust.

This page gives a little bit on insight into waveriders and integrated engines:

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/design/waverider/design.shtml#prop

This page has a nice section on waveriders,
http://www.aerospaceweb.org/design/waverider/waverider.shtml

This is one of many pages about the rumored Aurora spyplane that uses pulsed
external combustion.

http://sushi-x.com/nonseq/aurora/aurora.html

The rocket nozzles can barely be seen in this picture,
http://www.frontiernet.net/~ghaberbe/ssto5.JPG , the small rectangular
openings at the end of the wheel wells. They're not as efficient as the
typical bell shaped nozzles, but hypersonic drag considerations took
priority. The rocket engines just need to get the vehicle to about Mach 4
(so the SCRAMjets can take over) and then in the upper range, Mach 20+, when
the air becomes too thin to support combustion.

Thanks,

George