 Space / 10440
Re: MOC: Thousand Astronomical Unit Probe (NEF)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 14:01:10 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  Hi everyone,

  I've been working off and on since Brickfest
  with my latest project, a "NEF" (Near-Earth-Future,
  an odd-sounding but standard term) extrasolar survey
  ship.  I'm operating in the relatively unpopular
  grey zone that a few of us like, the near-future
  "technically possible today" zone.

  TAU (Thousand Astronomical Unit) was a real mission
  proposed in the 1960s, and a vehicle even got into
  the early stages of design.  I've ressurected it
  for a universe of about seventy years hence, after
  humanity has just discovered a feasible stardrive
  with only one catch--you've got to get to the helio-
  pause to use it, because stellar gravity wells
  distort the effect in a rather unpleasant manner.

  Go take a look at this very odd, but very functional
  idea at:

  http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~lfbraun/TAU.html

Lindsay,

Wow, this is great, and I think it's a lot of fun to try and make an MOC
with technical limitations. It makes me wish I had bought some cheap saucer
parts, I knew UFO would be good for something.

In a perfect world, I'd have a bunch of MOCs to show in the smae time frame,
but I have to satisfay myself with one every few months (or seasons, even).

George