 Space / 10428
Re: MOC: Thousand Astronomical Unit Probe (NEF)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:16:45 GMT

In lugnet.space, Lindsay Frederick Braun writes:

  A good explanation of the principle is found in several
  sites dedicated to the Orion launch vehicle, which was
  NASA's planned nuclear pulse rocket.

  Here's a page with the quick and dirty info:

  http://www.upei.ca/~physics/p261/projects/spaceprop/NUKE.HTM

Okay, these links helped.  It sounds like the medium to transfer
momentum from the explosion to the ship are gases released from
vapourizing the casing of the bomb.  I guess I can envision a
dense enough wave of such gases being produced to transfer
momentum to the collector shield and cause thrust on the ship.

I'm wondering now how fast the wave propagates..., shall have
to do more digging...

KDJ
LUGNETer #203, Windsor, Ontario, Canada