 Robotics / Spybotics / 52
RE: Spybotics Comms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 12:01:14 GMT

-----Original Message-----> Mark Riley Sent: Sunday, August 18, 2002 5:10 • PM
"Marco Correia" wrote:
Anyone tried the VLL output and input feature ?

Yes, there's a MindScript "vll" command (for the SpyBot) that
works just as described in the Scout SDK.  It uses the red LED
on the back of the SpyBot to output commands.

Great, thxs for this info :)

I tried using the green and yellow LEDs on the Spybot, but the
MicroScout sensor doesn't seem to be sensitive to those light
frequencies.

Yes, that's to be expected, from what I experienced with my MicroScout
tests.

I haven't yet tried receiving VLL.  There are some indications in the
SpyBot header files that it is possible, but I haven't figured it out
yet.  This subroutine name seems suggestive:

sub ProcessVLLEvent = 36

hmmmm... let's hope someone can do some work around that :)

The value for the light sensor (the one used for programming) can
be read using the "opto" label, so you could probably decipher
VLL commands manually if it turns out there's no built-in
support.

Yes, like I did on a CyberMaster and on a RCX.
The problem is that, doing a "custom" VLL input routine (with standard
firmware) takes a bit of CPU cycles and a lot of precious RAM and it's
impossible (I tryed various ways to do it but no can do) to read pure VLL at
*VLL speed*.
I succeeded doing a 10 to 8 times slower versions of VLL input.
That was the best I could do with stardard firmware.

(if someone has a solution to this, please post it, please ! :)

I've never tryed doing a BrickOS VLL input routine because my objective was
to run it either on a Cybermaster or on a RCX. That's the only way I could
put the two "talking". ...and the Cybermaster is stuck with standard
firmware, so, I never got to try alternative firmware on my RCX too.

Anyway, thxs for this info (and the Spy<->RCX post too) Mark :)

mc.