 Robotics / Spybotics / 51
Re: Spybotics Comms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2002 17:09:56 GMT

"Marco Correia" wrote:

Anyone tried the VLL output and input feature ?

Yes, there's a MindScript "vll" command (for the SpyBot) that
works just as described in the Scout SDK.  It uses the red LED
on the back of the SpyBot to output commands.  This same LED
is also used when programming the SpyBot, so you have to
download your program, remove the programming cable, connect
the fiber optics cable to the MicroScout (if using) and run your
program.

You can also use the 3 red LEDs on top of the SpyBot to send VLL
commands. You do this by replacing the first four macros in a copy
of the RCX2VLL.h file with this:

  macro OnLED(v) { led[iDisplay] = led[iDisplay]  | v }
  macro OffLED(v) { led[iDisplay] = led[iDisplay] & (255 - v) }

  macro vll_begin(v) { OnLED(v) wait 12 }
  macro vll_end(v) { OffLED(v) }

  macro vll_start(v) {  OffLED(v) wait 2 }
  macro vll_stop(v) { OnLED(v) wait 2 OffLED(v) wait 6 OnLED(v) wait 12  }
  macro vll_0(v) { OnLED(v) wait 4 OffLED(v) wait 2 }
  macro vll_1(v) { OnLED(v) wait 2 OffLED(v) wait 4 }

You can then issue VLL commands like this:

  vll_begin(cRed2)
  ms_Fwd(cRed2)
  ms_Beep1(cRed2)
  vll_end(cRed2)

I tried using the green and yellow LEDs on the Spybot, but the
MicroScout sensor doesn't seem to be sensitive to those light
frequencies.

I haven't yet tried receiving VLL.  There are some indications in the
SpyBot header files that it is possible, but I haven't figured it out
yet.  This subroutine name seems suggestive:

sub ProcessVLLEvent = 36

The value for the light sensor (the one used for programming) can
be read using the "opto" label, so you could probably decipher
VLL commands manually if it turns out there's no built-in
support.

Mark