 Robotics / Spybotics / 338
Re: Spybot Upgrade Kit ? was Spybot Hardware Hacking
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics
Date:
Tue, 6 Apr 2004 16:11:05 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, Joseph Woolley wrote:

You are not the only one!

I am wondering if this could be used to add RF communications to the Spybot?

This is certainly possible.  I connected the serial port receiver of the PIC to
the IR receivers on the Spybot in hopes of detecting my own transmissions for
use as a simple proximity detector.  It almost works when the Spybot translucent
cover is removed, but not very effective with it on (too much IR reflected
around the inside of the Spybot).  In any case, you could use the serial port on
the PIC for RF communication.

In lugnet.robotics.spybotics, Speedsthatbeat wrote:
Furthermore the same concepts can be applied to the RCX. The RCX in fact has an
internal i2c bus (used at least for the contol of the LCD). Using BrickOS it
would be possible to extend the interfacing capabilities of the RCX.

That's interesting.  I've just starting digging into the datasheet of the H8
used in the RCX to see what features are available.

Do you think this would be of value for the community?  Expansion of the RCX is
interesting, but if you have to jump through too many hurdles to get there
(dissection of the RCX, custom software, etc.), other options are available such
as the Handyboard, Cricket, etc.

--Jay