 Robotics / Spybotics / 120
Re: RCX/Spybotics/Scout communication
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.spybotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.scout
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 17:09:23 GMT

In article <s3nd0vkchmhhtlo58o6v2ma7o9pjrgj930@4ax.com>,
Mark Ferris <markdf2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

Having read the messages in the various newsgoups, I must admit I'm a
little puzzled.   I've seen a lot of discussion about IR
communication, but I don't think I have a straight answer.  I have an
RCX, a Scout, and some Spybotics under the Christmas tree for the
kids.  I know the RCX and Scout talk together, but I've been using
that feature.  Will the Spybotics also talk with those two and/or
amongst themselves in a way that is programmable with NQC?

Thanks.

Spybotics uses a new IR protocol for communication between Spybotics
devices, but the IR is also has user-configurable and can send RCX-style
messages.  Here is a sample program that sends messages from Spybotics
to an RCX (or Scout):

http://www.baumfamily.org/nqc/samples/spy_tx_msg.nqc

I haven't been able to get Spybotics to receive IR messages from an RCX.
It may be possible, or it might not.

Spybotics and Scout can communicate with each other using VLL packets.
On Spybotics, the VLL connection is the connector in back where you
attach the computer cable.  It doesn't have a very long range, so the
Scout's LED has to be very close to the Spybotics unit (and everything
needs to be lined up nicely).  The fiber optic strands might be able to
be used to transmit these VLL packets.

You can also (using some third-party code and a light bulb) send VLL
packets from the RCX, which would allow it to control Spybotics even if
nobody figures out how to get Spybotics to receive RCX IR messages.

Dave Baum