 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 271
Re: Patched firmware to improve rotation sensor, was Re: Robolab, byte codes and assembler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 01:09:37 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dick Swan wrote:
"Philippe Hurbain" <philohome@free.fr> wrote in message
Hello Dick,

Looks great, but it doesn't seem to work well here:

Much to my embarassment, I have to agree with Philippe that the patch
doesn't work very well. I try to figure out what went wrong.

- counts up 2 by 2, but counts down correctly one by one
This is the expected performance as described in the example in my
original post. The
"+1" state is an "ambiguous condition.

Doesn't that mean that at any given count, you could still be off by 1, but now
the odds of having an incorrect count are 50-50 instead of about one in 500?

- loses count, especially when counting up.
If I can't fix it, then I'll do a different patch to grab the
implementation from BrickOS which uses a different algorithm.

There has been some discussion about whether this patch will work with Robolab,
or is specific to the "RCX Code" of the retail Mindstorms package.  Can you
please clarify?

<snip>