 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 272
271  |  273
Subject:
"Non-Robolab" LabView functions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 01:59:00 GMT

I've been experimenting with some of the LabView icons available in
"Investigator" mode in Robolab (under the "hourglass" item on the outermost
menu).  They seem to cause some odd behavior sometimes.  It seems like it's
especially a problem if one of the terms comes from a "container".  For
instance, in one case I used the little "-1" triangular icon to decrement a
value stored in a "generic container".  The decrement was in a Sub VI, along
with a couple of LCD display icons, each followed by a 1-second pause.  The
container contents was set in another Sub VI.  Both Sub VIs were called from
another Sub VI.

The first LCD display icon was wired to the Sub VI input which was fed the
container value, so it displayed the value of the container.  The second LCD
display icon was wired to the output of the decrement, whose input was wired to
the same Sub VI input.  What should have happened is that the container value
displayed for a second, then a value one less for a second.  What did happen was
the container value displayed correctly, then zero.  In similar tests with the
increment function I got 31 followed by 517.  No idea where that came from.

Are there some "rules" for how to use these LabView icons, especially the
convenient mathematics functions, correctly?  Especially with data coming from
containers?

I suspect this may be partly a "data-driven" vs "instruction-driven" issue, but
I tried to take that into account and it didn't help.