 Robotics / RCX / ROBOLAB / 275
Re: "Non-Robolab" LabView functions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:37:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Claude Baumann wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.rcx.robolab, Don Stauffer wrote:
I've been experimenting with some of the LabView icons available in
"Investigator" mode in Robolab (under the "hourglass" item on the outermost
menu).  They seem to cause some odd behavior sometimes.  It seems like it's
especially a problem if one of the terms comes from a "container".  For
instance, in one case I used the little "-1" triangular icon to decrement a
value stored in a "generic container".  The decrement was in a Sub VI, along
with a couple of LCD display icons, each followed by a 1-second pause.  The
container contents was set in another Sub VI.  Both Sub VIs were called from
another Sub VI.

------------------->snip
I've not had the time yet to analyze the patch. Seems that you replace the first
firmware handler.

In Robolab the firmware is found under ..ROBOLAB\Engine\RCX1\Text. They simply
have changed the extension .lgo to .txt and call it firmware.txt . Be sure you
patch the correct firmware-version.

Still waiting to hear from Dick about that.

As to LabVIEW behind ROBOLAB, you must be aware that ROBOLAB is in fact a
"code-generator" creating LASM-code from icons. This is comparable to RIS, but
much more efficient. The power of this graphical tool is that kids and
youngsters easily may program the RCX without dealing with text-programming
orthography. Of course the icons must be used correctly -also a kind of grammar-
but much easier to understand and to use.

I disagree that it's easier to understand and use.  Possibly easier to learn or
figure out without documentation, up to a point.  But ease of learning is not
the same as ease of use.

Graphical tools may be helpful for interface design for a program to be run in a
graphical environment, but they are a poor choice for other aspects of
programming.

Another advantage is the completeness
of ROBOLAB in programming, evaluating, debugging, publishing. This makes it the
best didactical tool for Mindstorms in schools. (Note also that LabVIEW runs on
all platforms.)

LabView is a well-written and powerful tool, though I wish it didn't extend the
graphical programming paradigm beyond the "front panel".  Fortunately, though,
it does at least offer some opportunity to specify some text-based constructs.

It's just an entirely inappropriate base for an RCX programming system.  The RCX
is a non-graphical device with very limited I/O, so even the value of graphical
programming for screen interface is gone.  "Wiring" together program statements
just becomes so much spaghetti!

If you try to use LabVIEW-functions like the triangular decrement icon, you must
understand that these functions applie to the PC-programm, e.a. the
code-generation process. So the decrement icon will act on the way, the
container-icon is understood by ROBOLAB, not on the container-value itself while
the RCX-program will be executed later.

Sounds like a C preprocessor.  So, only use them for constants?

This sounds a bit confusing. Perhaps you
should try to find more tutorial information on the Web about LabVIEW in
general.

I looked at everything available before asking.  The LabView manual is
comprehensive but doesn't have anything to do with the RCX.  The Robolab
"manual" is very limited and vaguely worded.

In any case LabVIEW is one of the most sophisticated
programming-environments, especially the new version LabVIEW 7 Express. If you
start playing around with it, you'll discover tremendous possibilities in
RCX-programming. Note that ROBOLAB (2.5) is based on a student's edition of
LabVIEW 6.

LabView is good for what it was written for: simulating and controlling lab
instruments.

<snip>