 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 484
Re: Apparent 'time-out'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 9 May 2002 16:30:41 GMT

The GUI version is 2.1.0.
The pbForth version (COLD) is 2.1.2.
I am using the USB tower with RIS 2.0.

Once the RCX stops responding, if I pull out a battery and re-upload the
firmware, the RCX will respond again to the same GUI session.  In other words,
it doesn't appear to be the GUI that is experiencing the problem.  It will
continue to send messages after the RCX has been rebooted.

It seems that it may be due to handling communication errors that the problem
comes up.  I can recreate the problem exactly every time by pointing a
flashlight at the RCX.  The first time the problem happened was in the late
afternoon when I was sitting next to a bright window.  Once the communications
are interrupted, the RCX will not respond again.  There should be a way to
handle this type of error and regain the ability to communicate.

Any suggestions?

David

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Ralph Hempel writes:
David Rojas wrote:

I am using the TCL GUI provided by Ralph Hempel on a Windows 2000 machine to
program the RCX 2.0 in pbForth.  The upload of the firmware appears to be
working just fine.  I get responses back from the RCX and am able to create • new
functions without any problems, at least at first.  If I stop sending • messages
to the RCX, it "appears" to time-out and will stop responding.  At that • point,
my only option is to pull one of the batteries out and start over from • scratch.

One more bit of useful information would be the version of pbForth
(which you get by typing COLD) and which version of the GUI (top left of • window)

Also, are you using the serial or USB tower?

What messages were you sending to the RCX before it quit?

If you start pbForth, leave the RCX alone for 5 minutes and then use the
console, does it "time out"

I wonder if one of the functions you created clobbers the stack somehow?

Let's see if we can figure out what's going on....

Cheers, Ralph