 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 479
Re: Co-operative Multi tasking in pbforth 2.1
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 23:27:35 GMT

Hi Ralph

Thanks for you reply.

I have just started into the article on background monitoring, its great.

I am looking forward to your articles on hooking into the one millisecond
timer and use of using John Barnes' ultrasonic sensor.

I was going to build up an "IR RADAR" using the bricks' IR transmitter and
the LEGO light sensor as a receiver.

IN THEORY.....  the transmitter would provide say 110 degree coverage in
front of the brick.  The Light sensor would be shrouded to be directional
and then rotated through the arc of coverage detecting any reflected IR.

The RADAR task was to be run as a separate task to provide "terain warning"
along with Driving the brick collecting information from two touch sensors
and building a terain map.

I am paticularly interested in the ultrasonic sensor as this would be a
better form of "RARAR" well closer to "Active SONAR" actually.

The project is in its very early days yet, I need more rainy weekends.

Thanks again for your effort.

haveagoodone
phil

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Ralph Hempel writes:
Phil,

I have some hooks in the current version of pbForth that
you can use to implement cooperative multi-tasking.

Have you read the article on implementing a background monitor
to check for button presses? It's at:

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth/scripts/howtoRCXMonitor1.html>

I was going to write another article this weekend on using John Barnes'
ultrasonic sensor (great bit of engineering) and then another
one on hooking into the 1msec timer hook I have in pbForth.

I'm kinda busy right now at work (who isn't) but requests like
this make it more likely that I'll actually get the article done.

Can you give us more info on what kind of sensor you
want to use and why you actually need multi-tasking?

Cheers, Ralph

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com