 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 464
463  |  465
Subject:
H8 assembler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:33:09 GMT

I'm working on a syntax highlighter for H8 assembler for BricxCC.  I
downloaded a couple PDFs from Hitachi's website.  I have the H8/300
Programming Manual (e602025_h8300.pdf) and THE INTRODUCTION OF
HITACHI H8 MICROCOMPUTERS (introduction_h8.pdf).

Unfortunately, since I am not terribly familiar with assembler in general
and H8 assembler in particular, I'm struggling a bit with trying to figure
out the complete list of op-codes supported by the H8 family.

The operand size portion of the op-code is mostly what is confusing me.  For
instance, the Programming Manual lists "ADDS" as an op-code.  It doesn't
mention any operand size versions of the op-code.  For ADD, on the other
hand, it shows ADD.B and ADD.W.

The Introduction PDF, however, shows sample code which uses ADDS.W and it
uses ADD.L (with the ER registers - which aren't mentioned in the
Programming Manual at all).  I presume the H8/300 doesn't support the .L
operand size op-codes.  It looks, from a more careful reading, that the
H8/300H supports the 32-bit ER registers (and the associated .L op-codes)
whereas the H8/300 does not.

Do you always have to specify the operand size in the assembly code, in
other words can you use just ADD or ADDS instead of ADD.B or ADDS.W?  Is
there a good source for H8 assembler documentation other than the files I've
mentioned above?

Thanks,

John Hansen