 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 465
RE: H8 assembler
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:15:11 GMT

I'm working on a syntax highlighter for H8 assembler for BricxCC.  I
downloaded a couple PDFs from Hitachi's website.  I have the H8/300
Programming Manual (e602025_h8300.pdf) and THE INTRODUCTION OF
HITACHI H8 MICROCOMPUTERS (introduction_h8.pdf).

No rest for the wicked, John.

The operand size portion of the op-code is mostly what is confusing me.  For
instance, the Programming Manual lists "ADDS" as an op-code.  It doesn't
mention any operand size versions of the op-code.  For ADD, on the other
hand, it shows ADD.B and ADD.W.

I always specify the size. Some assemblers can infer the size from
the operand, but it's usually better practice to specify it.

The L suffix is not supported on the H8/300 variant used
by the RCX.

Do you always have to specify the operand size in the assembly code, in
other words can you use just ADD or ADDS instead of ADD.B or ADDS.W?  Is
there a good source for H8 assembler documentation other than the files I've
mentioned above?

I'm pretty sure that the way the assembler will look at the non-comment
lines of source is that the first word delimited by white space is the
opcode, and the next bits are the operand...

On the other hand, I'm not sure why you want to do this. Most folks I know
that are writeing assembler for the RCX use their own editors and IDEs.

Cheers, Ralph