 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 401
RE: LEGO 2001
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 17:20:00 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

That means (with some assumptions about completeness) Lego has banged out
over half a million of these yellow bricks....

Really? Even one tenth that number is still a sea of yellow bricks!

So where is everybody? Why are there only a handful of us here? If just
1/100 of the
people out there were buying books from Dave and Jonathan and sensors from
people like me, we could all go full time! Well, maybe ..

Ahhhh, the lure of numbers :-)

Does that mean there are 10s of 1000s of RCXs out there languishing in
closets unused!
What a waste!

Agreed. I know about a half dozen kids that have these sets, and most
of them would rather watch TV!

Don't forget that a lot of these kits are in schools. They are dumped
on teachers that have little or no experience with this kind of
educational tool.

Teachers that are reading this, please don't flame me! The mere fact
taht you are reading this puts you in an elite class of educator. And
your peers are probably in that class too, because you like to hang
around them.

I really had fun teaching 5,6 and 7th graders how to build 'bots
using pbForth. See the links here....

<<http://www.cs.purdue.edu/outreach/summercamp2000/update1.html>>

The link to my site from there is broken...

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com