 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 22
Re: FORTH editor/IDE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 08:42:01 GMT

Is anyone considering, or in the process of, writing an editor
for pbFORTH on the PC? I am thinking of doing one in the style
of RCX Command Center (http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/lego/),
but don't want to reinvent the wheel if there's one on the
stocks.

I'm not in the process of writing an IDE, but I'm not sure you
need one either.

I haven't tried pbFORTH (though I have done some FORTH
programming), mainly because I like to see all my code on the
page before committing it, and the interactive nature of talking
FORTH directly to the brick puts me off. Besides I have found
that bost things I've tried that do this lock up sooner or later
under NT when the RCX loses communication, even momentarily.

I'm going to make the pbFORTH a bit more user friendly shortly, by
adding a MARKER word that essentially clears out all of your
own definitions.

I am using NQC at the moment, but feel that there will soon come
a time when the limitations of the LEGO firmware will mean that
I can't go any further. I have considered legOS but feel that if
you're going to replace the firmware, then you might as well do
it with a FORTH kernel, feels much closer to the robotic spirit.
--
John Cooper, Wallington, UK

The "closeness" to the metal also means that you must accept some risk
in terms of a crashed RCX once in a while :-) I don't think you can HURT
the RCX via software, but severe sleep related lockups can take a
few minutes (5-10) with no power before the brick recovers its senses.

Yes, I forgot to turn it off after first downloading the firmware, and
getting called away to do something else. Luckily they were rechargeables...

Please try pbFORTH and feedback some comments. I'm going to try to get
a TclTk interface out at some time in the future...

In the meantime, why not just use the Hyperterminal application and send
files using the Send Text option?

Set the line delay at 200msec and the character delay to 10 msec for now.

Thanks, I'll try it. I will be spending more time with FORTH over the next
few weeks, I'll let you know how it goes.
--
John Cooper, Wallington, UK