 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 12
11  |  13
Subject:
FORTH editor/IDE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:43:29 GMT

Is anyone considering, or in the process of, writing an editor
for pbFORTH on the PC? I am thinking of doing one in the style
of RCX Command Center (http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/lego/),
but don't want to reinvent the wheel if there's one on the
stocks.

I haven't tried pbFORTH (though I have done some FORTH
programming), mainly because I like to see all my code on the
page before committing it, and the interactive nature of talking
FORTH directly to the brick puts me off. Besides I have found
that bost things I've tried that do this lock up sooner or later
under NT when the RCX loses communication, even momentarily.

I am using NQC at the moment, but feel that there will soon come
a time when the limitations of the LEGO firmware will mean that
I can't go any further. I have considered legOS but feel that if
you're going to replace the firmware, then you might as well do
it with a FORTH kernel, feels much closer to the robotic spirit.
--
John Cooper, Wallington, UK