 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 211
Re: sending files to pbForth - results
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:48:40 GMT

Hi Vlad,

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth, Vlad Dumitrescu writes:
but, when using POWER_INIT and POWER_OFF standalone, the display remains lit,
showing 4th...

These commands are low-level calls to ROM firmware. If you want to simulate
original firmware' behaviour you mast do a little coding.
May be you will be interested to see my small example at the end of this post.
This is the part of my monitor I'm using to control RCX, and it simulates look
and feel of original monitor (only "4th" instead of small man figure on
LCD ;).
BTW, when you call POWER_OFF word directly, the RCX will be really switched
off and will stay in this state until you will not press On/Off button.

and when running TEST_POWER from the supplied scripts, the RCX suddenly (at • the
fourth step) did not want to come up again at all... it is dead - and it's not
the batteries, since removing them and putting them back brings it back to
life.

I'm sorry to tell it but there were few bugs in 1.0.7 samples (so, seems also
in 1.1.0). I think it happened because button API has been changes, but few
scripts remain unchanged. Here they are:
testlight.txt, torbalall.txt, torbot.txt, tracker.txt
I'm really sorry what I was so lazy and didn't report about this on time...

Another reason - many things will not work if you will not call RCX_INIT (and
company) before. In case you have played with POWER_OFF...  This word “resets”
RCX, so you need to re-init everything again. (see example below).

Sergey

-- pbForth code ---------------------------------------------------------------

\
\ on-off.f
\ RCX on/off monitor
\

BASE @ HEX
GET-CURRENT NONSTANDARD-WORDLIST SET-CURRENT

\ RCX utilities

: RCX-INIT-ALL ( -- )
  RCX_INIT
  POWER_INIT
  BUTTON_INIT
  SENSOR_INIT ;

: POWER-BUTTON? ( -- flag )
  RCX_POWER DUP 4000 POWER_GET @ 0= ;

: LCD-SPLASH ( -- )
  LCD_4TH LCD_REFRESH ;

: PLAY-SOUND-AND-WAIT ( sound-nr -- )
  4003 SOUND_PLAY
  BEGIN RCX_SOUND DUP SOUND_GET @ 0= UNTIL ;

\ power

: rcx_boot ( -- )
  RCX-INIT-ALL
  LCD-SPLASH
  1 PLAY-SOUND-AND-WAIT ;

' rcx_boot TO 'boot          \ init RCX every time the pbForth restarted

: rcx_power_off ( -- )
  0 PLAY-SOUND-AND-WAIT
  LCD_CLEAR LCD_REFRESH
  RCX_SHUTDOWN