 Robotics / RCX / pbFORTH / 142
RE: A few questions on NQC vs. VB
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 17:38:47 GMT

None of these decisions are set in stone.  I'd appreciate any and all opinions
on the matter.  Of course, I may question the motive if I get twenty responses
from Ralph Hempel that say use pbForth ;-)

After seeing all the cool stuff at Mindfest this weekend, I'll say this:

1. Learn about basic bot building using the graphical tools from LEGO
2. When you need more control, go to NQC
3. When you run out of variables or timers, etc go to pbFORTH
4. When you run out of capabilities next - use LegOS

I learned that it's important to build your mechanical and software
skills in parallel. Get used to the capabilities of the RCX
in a general sense before going to more complex environments.

So far, the only pbForth app is a mazewalker (pics soon). I have'nt
actually seen an app that uses LegOS. Mario Ferrari and Marco Beri
showed off their TicTacToe robot that uses NQC - really COOL!

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com