 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 510
Re: NQC on Linux dilema...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 03:44:33 GMT

In article <FsBHKC.1tz@lugnet.com>, "Theodore Morse"
<camquate@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hey,

I have a little dilema when running nqc on RedHat 6.1 distribution of
Linux on
a Toshiba Satellite 2615DVD Laptop Computer. I have a 'winmodem' that
workes on
some port, and the IR transmitter on 'COM1' equivalent. It will not load
the
programs to the RCX block. I tried your test program, and it will just
sit and
do nothing when it says `Downloading Program:`

Does the program just hang, or does it eventually (several seconds
later) give up and print an error message?

Try 'verbose' mode and post the results:

nqc -v -d test.nqc

One possibility is that somehow the port is configured for hardware
handshaking and that is causing the open() to block.  You can check for
this case by adding a suitable printf in  PSerial_unix::Open() (in the
file platform/PSerial_unix.cpp).  Some other Unix variants (notably
IRIX) have some trouble with this...one fix is to change

   if ((fTerm = open(name, O_RDWR)) < 0) {

   if ((fTerm = open(name, O_RDWR | O_NDELAY)) < 0) {

I'm not sure why this matters...or why almost every other system out
there doesn't need the O_NDEALY...but its at least worth a try.

Dave Baum

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com