 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 148
Re: Tasks vs. program slots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:19:13 GMT

In article <37E32DDB.2AEF99CA@iname.com>, Nick Taylor <ntaylor@iname.com> wrote:

I've been wanting to use a Sharp IR receiver to demodulate the signal
from a LEGO remote control, and then a PIC to decode the rx output
for use by an external controller (not the RCX).  Would you please
give me a little more of an explanation of the remote's transmitted
signal ... comm protocol, timing, etc.  My lack of knowledge is
keeping me from making any sense out of what I see on the 'scope
coming out of the Sharp IR receiver.

What exactly does the Sharp IR receiver do?  If it uses Sharp's ASK
modulation, then you may have a problem.  Ideally, what you want is
something like a phototransistor to a good preamp, followed by a bandpass
around 38kHz, then some sort of detector (e.g. a comparator).  You'll also
need some sort of AGC control to bias the preamp and/or detector.

Lego's IR protocol uses a 38kHz carrier.  Bytes are encoded using standard
serial NRZ encoding at 2400 bps using 1 start bit, 8 data bits, odd
parity, and 1 stop bit.  An RS-232 '0' bit corresponds to sending IR, a
'1' bit is nothing.  This means that idle doesn't send anything.  You
should see a bit-time's worth of IR as the start bit, then the 8 databits
(lsb first), then a parity bit, then at least one bit-time of stop (no
light).

I'm going from memory here, so bear with me if I messed up the polarity of
anything.  Hope this helps.

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com