 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 150
Re: Tasks vs. program slots
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:41:49 GMT

Dave Baum wrote:

In article <37E32DDB.2AEF99CA@iname.com>, Nick Taylor <ntaylor@iname.com> wrote:

I've been wanting to use a Sharp IR receiver to demodulate the signal
from a LEGO remote control, and then a PIC to decode the rx output
for use by an external controller (not the RCX).  Would you please
give me a little more of an explanation of the remote's transmitted
signal ... comm protocol, timing, etc.  My lack of knowledge is
keeping me from making any sense out of what I see on the 'scope
coming out of the Sharp IR receiver.

What exactly does the Sharp IR receiver do?  If it uses Sharp's ASK
modulation, then you may have a problem.  Ideally, what you want is
something like a phototransistor to a good preamp, followed by a bandpass
around 38kHz, then some sort of detector (e.g. a comparator).  You'll also
need some sort of AGC control to bias the preamp and/or detector.

The Sharp GP1U581Y is a 38kHz receiver that incorporates an amp, a
limiter,
a bandpass filter, and a demodulator ... outputs a low while receiving
an IR signal, a +5V high when not.  It does NOT do any decoding.

Lego's IR protocol uses a 38kHz carrier.  Bytes are encoded using standard
serial NRZ encoding at 2400 bps using 1 start bit, 8 data bits, odd
parity, and 1 stop bit.  An RS-232 '0' bit corresponds to sending IR, a
'1' bit is nothing.  This means that idle doesn't send anything.  You
should see a bit-time's worth of IR as the start bit, then the 8 databits
(lsb first), then a parity bit, then at least one bit-time of stop (no
light).

From what I've been seeing on my 'scope at the IR receiver output, I'm
guessing that you are describing the serial output of the LEGO tower,
and NOT the IR encoding protocol that is used to modulate the 38kHz
carrier.

What I'm looking for is the encoding protocol so that I can feed the
output
of the IR receiver (GP1U581Y or IS1U60) to a PIC for decoding.  On the
HandyBoard the built-in IS1U60 could be used and the 68HC11 could do the
decoding.

- Nick -