 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 11 (-10)
  ANNOUNCE: nqce - a Java-based editor for NQC (Not Quite C)

ANNOUNCE: nqce - a Java-based editor for NQC (Not Quite C) Not Quite C is a simple language with a C-like syntax that can be used to program the LEGO RCX, the brick computer which forms the heart of LEGO Mindstorms. NQC is written by Dave Baum, and (...) (26 years ago, 24-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: One Big Program

Small misunderstanding... The RCX firmware contains a small interpreter which runs "RCX bytecodes". These are very different from H8 machine language. NQC generates code that runs within the interpreter, and asm statements just generate raw (...) (26 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  One Big Program

I'm going to follow Dave's suggestion in an earlier post, and post to this group, on an issue I raised to him earlier: The three principal limitations to "large" program development on the RCX are: 1. 32 variables globally 2. 8 subroutines/ program (...) (26 years ago, 23-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 1.2 in beta testing

The thing to remember about legOS is that pretty much anything you can do in C (gcc, egcs) in 32k of RAM, you can do with legOS. I believe that both legOS and NQC have definite places in the RCX programming universe. I happen to have been using gcc (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: NQC 1.2 in beta testing

Well, those are still cool new functions...I will keep wishing the RCX firmware allowed runtime evaluations instead of constants. Maybe LegOS does...does anyone know? Rich (URL) Message----- From: news-gateway@lugnet.com (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 1.2 in beta testing

(...) No, you still wouldn't be able to do that since the RCX bytecode to play a tone requires compile time constants as its arguments. The scoping would let you put variables inside of tasks (hiding them from other tasks), if you wanted... task foo (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 1.2 in beta testing

(...) Yep, MT-newswatcher can do that. Sorry I didn't remember to crosspost - must've been brain dead or something. (...) Very cool. A lot of people send me e-mail about NQC. I'll encourage them to raise issues on lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc instead - (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: NQC 1.2 in beta testing

(...) Hi Dave, Cool to see a separate beta-testing page! BTW, does MT-NewsWatcher 2.4.4 allow you to crosspost news articles and set the followups? I noticed that you posted the above message to 2 groups as 2 separate messages instead of 1. If your (...) (26 years ago, 22-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  NQC 1.2 in beta testing

There have been substantial changes to the code generation algorithms, so I'm going to run a longer (and more formal) beta cycle for 1.2. Details can be found at: (URL) reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com (26 years ago, 21-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  ------( Terms of use for lugnet.com )------

TERMS OF USE FOR LUGNET.COM OVERVIEW AND DEFINITIONS lugnet.com ("LUGNET") is a privately owned Internet site designed and run primarily for the benefit of those who enjoy building with, discussing, collecting, buying & selling, trading, and (...) (26 years ago, 19-Feb-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact