 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 838
Re: (fwd) Re: patch for lnpd ( Collision problem in far-mode )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:27:21 GMT

Hi Luis,

I actually just took care of it- legOS.sourceforge.net is now ours, and
should be propagating towards your DNS servers as we speak. It'll be a
few hours (their setup time) and probably Wednesday (my time- "Mathematical
Foundations of Computer Science" exam) before I start moving things from
arthurdent to there.

That's great. The sourceforge server seems to have fairly decent
bandwidth, judging from the speed legOS.sourceforge.net is coming up in
my second window.

4) public CVS for LNP and the core of legOS (considering the number of
patches I've been seeing flying around here) would also be nice.
Write access, would, of course, be limited to the primary authors, but
it'd be nice to generate "real" patches that would be much easier to apply.

CVS is what attracted me in the first place. As repositories are
completely mobile, I'll probably be able to simply upload mine. What's
the procedure? I already registered with sourceforge five minutes ago.

Fixes and enhancements will propagate vastly faster with CVS - right
now, I'm reluctant to make a new release simply because somebody found
out the VERSION file is still showing the old number ;-)

5) a legOS-announce mailing list would be nice (for people who want
important news without the sometimes arcane lugnet traffic.)

I think LUGnet is important - most anybody who's doing LEGO on the
internet is bound to stumble into it sooner or later. We shouldn't give
up our presence there needlessly. Besides, LUGnet already offers a lot
more than a simple mailing list.

The discussion boards on noga.de have already fragmented the discussion
about legOS somewhat. Is this a trend we wish to pursue? Originally, I
thought the file upload features would help to turn the legOS site into
a platform for lnpd and related projects, too, but that's not quite how
it worked out.

If Markus wants, we can also move the primary site to
legOS.sourceforge.net, including the forums and such. Or not- completely
up to the man.

The entire IPO business has left me highly sceptical about Linux
companies, especially the multi-billion dollar variety. So I dislike the
creepy little banners for VA Linux Systems. Internet companies spend
over 60% of their money on branding, i.e., advertisement. Why on earth
should we give it to any of them for free?

If we can obtain zero-advertisement webspace at sourceforge, and if
somebody would like to occupy him/herself with the web pages a little,
I'd be willing to move quickly.

If I stay the only one maintaining the web pages, nothing changes for
me, so a move would be very low priority.

If there's no way to get rid of advertising, I'd rather pay for my
bandwidth at noga.de. At least, legOS didn't break my monthly limit yet.

Markus.