 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 525
RE: problem downloading srec file to RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Fri, 26 Nov 1999 20:39:15 GMT

Bad things happen when I try to use the firmware download tool from the NQC
environment to download an SREC file produced by either Web cross compilor.
After a long wait, during which the bar graph that tracks loading progress
lengthens, I get "Firmware download failed."  Yet this same tool happily
downloads the standard lego firmware (firm0309.lgo).  If I use NQC directly in
DOS via the -firmware option, things are worse:  initially, I get "downloading
firmware" and a row of dots, but finally the RCX makes an ascending beep, and
I get "No reply from RCX".  Then the RCX powers off, and I have to
remove/replace a battery to proceed.  I am running LEGO version 1.5 on Windows
98.  I tried to include the sample SREC file below, but lugnet cannot accept
binary posts.  Can anyone help?

Ok, the first thing I would do is that the known good firmware (firm0309.lgo)
loads with all of the tools that you are interested in.

The next thing is that any custom image you put in the RCX may or may not
respond to the delelte firmware command.

I'll bet that your image file has a bug and the RCX is hanging - like it's supposed
to.

When you get frustrated with WebCompilers, give pbForth a try :-)

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbFORTH>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com