 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 539
Re: problem downloading srec file to RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1999 04:26:01 GMT

Dave ... although at this point I'm not using non-standard firmware,
I'd like to cast my vote for option (2).  The command line may be a
bit "unwieldy", but (2) gives the best solution.
Thanks,
- Nick -

Dave Baum wrote:
[snip]
The firmware checking code brings up an interesting dilema.  I want NQC to
be as bullet proof as possible for normal use, so I want to keep the
firmware version check in place.  However, if a lot of people are using
nqc to download non-standard firmware, then perhaps some other handling is
in order.  There are a few options...

1) No Change - just ignore the error.  Personally I don't like this since
it potentially hides a real problem.  However, if only a few people are
using nqc for downloads other than standard firmware, then we'll just
leave NQC alone.

2) Add an option to supress the firmware check.  This is easy to do, but
the command line is already a bit unwieldy.  Perhaps this complicates the
usage more than it is worth in the long run.

3) Soften the firmware version check to a "warning" rather than an
"error".  The error message could indicate that it couldn't detect
standard firmware and leave it at that.  I'd probably alter return codes
from NQC to make this event non-fatal (return 0 from main).  I like this
option the best.

Any thoughts?

Dave Baum
dbaum@enteract.com