 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 280
Re: signals / legOS internals
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 1999 02:08:00 GMT

Kekoa Proudfoot wrote:

I should add that since many things are vectored in this version of Librcx,
overriding functionality is easy for the advanced user to do.  For example:

extern void (*__event_vector)(void);

void my_setup_func()
{
    // ...
    __event_vector = my_handler_func;
    // ...
}

It turns out that __event_vector is equivalent to the signal mechanism
being discussed.  The signal id (if you'd expect that) is implicit in the
address of __event_vector; the updating of the signal handler must be done
explicitly by managing __event_vector yourself.

So, should I abandon my implementation?  If something every bit as good
is already there, it may be silly for me to continue.  I haven't looked
at Librcx yet, so I don't completely understand how it works.

I think one of the original reasons for implementing signals may have
been to suspend and resume tasks.

Actually, I bet this is slightly different from the signal mechanism being
discussed, which probably has one vector per thread/process.  Librcx only
has a single, global set of vectors.

Ok, I know I'm being dense, but what are the implications of this?