 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 2468
Re: Release candidate legos-0.2.5.2 avail for testing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 13:49:37 GMT

Dear legOS people,

i am using cygwin-1.3.10-1 ( cygcheck -c) and h8300-hms-gcc 3.0.3
Here are some  notes on legos-0.2.5.2 . I think first point must be fixed,
other points are suggestions

kernel/lnp.c doesnt compile because of missing "volatile" modifier in line 80.
It must read

  volatile lnp_integrity_handler_t lnp_integrity_handler;

Compiler expects volatile here from declaration in include/lnp/lnp.h:

  extern volatile lnp_integrity_handler_t lnp_integrity_handler;

OS detection in Makefile.common doesnt work with my cygwin(1.3.10), leading
tool prefix h8300-hitachi which is wrong at my PC. To avoid this, i always
run "make TARGET OSTYPE=cygwin "

What is the background of making tool prefix OS dependent?
You can use the same standard build procedure (. configure; make; make
install) for cross compiler on Cygwin and Linux, leading to same tool chain
(except .exe extension). I suppose simplest solution ( =same tool, same
name, like binutils and "gcc" and all the other) is the best.

It is common practise to write pathes like this
dir1/dir2/dir3/File
Because LEGOS_ROOT seems to end with slash, it must disappear from command line
leading to
        dir1/dir2dir3/File
        dir1/dir2File
which looks a little bit strange

It would be possible to run the same legOS tree under cygwin AND linux
if we help cygwin's sh with the .exe stuff. If there are two files UTIL
(linux executable) and UTIL.EXE
it doesnt know what to do. If the Makefiles would be rewritten such that in
windos environment an explicit .exe occures at cmd line, this problem would
be solved

thanks,
Volker