 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 180
    Lego Network Protocol questions —Mike Moran
    Hi all. I came to the discussions on the LNP a bit late and was wondering if the following questions had been discussed (I flipped through an old Communications course book and noted some thoughts): - Can we do Carrier Sense *whilst* we are (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Dave Baum
     (...) Transmit whenever you feel like it and hope you didn't obliterate data coming from the other direction. Rudimentary, but still quite effective given the typical use pattern with is host driven command/response. With RCX to RCX communication (...) (25 years ago, 30-Apr-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Kekoa Proudfoot
     (...) Dave, did you catch the crosspost from lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos? I think there were details discussed there that may or may not have amounted to a fairly specific proposal for a protocol for LegOS. Anybody care to summarize whatever was (...) (25 years ago, 1-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

         RE: Lego Network Protocol questions —Ralph Hempel
      With all of the talk about networking and IP embedding and such, and since I'm working on a proprietary '485 master/slave protocol for a client, I had to dust off a GREAT university text on networks. It devotes an entire chapter to ALOHA and slotted (...) (25 years ago, 1-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

          Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Mike Moran
      In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Ralph Hempel writes: [ ... ] (...) This is actually the book from which the thoughts I posted about arose. It is, indeed, a great book ;-) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Dave Baum
      (...) Oops, I must've just caught the tail end of the conversation. I assumed the standard [lame] lego protocol was being discussed, not a custom protocol. Sorry. Dave (25 years ago, 2-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Mike Moran
     (...) Just to state my interests: I'm mainly interested in the protocol, eg what level of service it would provide etc. In particular, I'm interested in layering a higher level gauranteed delivery protocol atop whatever simple one is provided. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Kekoa Proudfoot
     (...) I believe transmission and reception are independent, i.e. the emitter circuit is decoupled from the receiver circuit. The hardware on the H8 is full duplex. Once you finish sending a byte, I think you get two interrupts: one saying a byte has (...) (25 years ago, 5-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

         Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Mike Moran
     In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, Kekoa Proudfoot writes: [ ... ] (...) To this end, i've started work on a Discrete Event Simulator. The idea is to use this to see the effects of some of the things you mention above. Note that this is not an (...) (25 years ago, 21-May-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

        RE: Lego Network Protocol questions —Jacob S. Barrett
   Sorry, I have been out of the loop for quite some time now on the protocol. Next time will someone smack me when I voluntarily take a compiler theory course on top of 3 other computer sciences courses. I had no life for over a month. I am currently (...) (25 years ago, 5-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Kekoa Proudfoot
   Regarding the IR protocol, I have elsewhere suggested the following simple low-level format: 1 start, 1 stop, 2400 baud, odd parity 55 f0 f0 L ~L D1 ~D1 .. Dn ~Dn C ~C L is number of data bytes, valid range 1..255, less depending on buffer sizes Dx (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Kekoa Proudfoot
   (...) I forgot to mention that one possible deficiency is the complements. They can be eliminated, for the most part, with careful counting of zeros. I haven't done any testing regarding this, so I don't know how many zeros in a row will break (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Kekoa Proudfoot
   (...) So of course I was curious about getting rid of the complements. Apparently, they are not necessary, or so my testing so far seems to indicate. Under the several lighting conditions I tried, and for distances of up to 27' (the farthest I could (...) (25 years ago, 6-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

        RE: Lego Network Protocol questions —Ralph Hempel
   (...) I'll back you up on this. My pbFORTH sends a simple character stream and it seems to work fine. No complements are necessary. I sure would like to be able to keep the RCX tower alive, though. I wonder if it's the character going through that (...) (25 years ago, 7-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Lego Network Protocol questions —Chris Phillips
   Ralph Hempel wrote in message <000001beb0e4$f9d0df...pro150>... (...) I'll back you up on this as well. I did some experiments using two towers connected to two different PCs, and found that I could send raw bytes from one PC to the other without (...) (25 years ago, 14-Jun-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics)