 Robotics / RCX / Java / 267
Re: leJOS & LDCC IRP
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:02:08 GMT

Juergen Stuber wrote:
Hi,

"Brian B. Alano" <throwaway@insightbb.com> writes:

Brian B. Alano wrote:
I'm writing a leJOS package to support the LDCC IR Protocol.

I'm having a bit of difficulty to understand what you are trying to do,
as I know Lejos but not the DCC/train side of things.
In particular, on which side do you want to use Lejos, sending those
remote commands from an RCX or from a PC?
Receiving IR commands from a Lego Remote, IR Tower or possibly another RCX.
They're not DCC signals, but LDCC IRP messages. Roughly the same data, different
medium and different protocol.

As far as I can understand from the web page
(http://home.surewest.net/markril/lego/dcc/index.html),
LDCC just takes input from the LEGO Mindstorms remote control?

However, this is inconsistent to what I found in ldcc105.zip,
the NQC program.
LDCC IRP is still unstable, but it will support input from the three sources I
mentioned above.

It seems this program sends packets that are inconsistent with
the format the ROM understands, in particular the packet length
which is normally encoded in the lower 3 bit.  Apparently the
RCX2 firmware extends the ROM in this regard, so it is no wonder
that the Serial class in Lejos cannot receive them, as it uses
the ROM directly.
You've probably hit on the problem here. I'll look into it.

Maybe you can try the rcxcomm package, which as far as I understand
can send arbitrary byte streams. • I thought rcxcomm was for the PC side only. I'll have to take another look at it.

Good luck
Thanks!
-Brian