 Robotics / RCX / Java / 260
Re: leJOS & BricxCC news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.java
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 04:31:34 GMT

"John Hansen" wrote:
One major sticking point I need to figure out, however, is how to get my
built-in firmware downloading code to work with the leJOS firmware.  It • works
fine with every other firmware I have tried (standard, pbForth, BrickOS, • and
other small custom firmwares).  Any leJOS experts care to give me a clue • as to
why other firmware downloaders don't work with leJOS?  firmdl3 from • BrickOS
crashes (lejos.srec: address out of bounds on line 840).  NQC and BricxCC • both
think everything downloaded fine but the brick is left in a bad state.

I'm no expert on leJOS, but I've experienced a similar problem
with my LDCC firmware and the NQC downloader.  Originally
the memory sequence in my .srec file was non-contiguous (i.e.
there were gaps in the memory sequence).  This caused a problem
with NQC because it assumes every byte in the .srec file comes
right after the previous - it doesn't check if the address skips
any memory (like in a bss segment).  The best solution for my
situation was to insert zeros in the vacant memory addresses.
Fortunately this didn't increase the size of my .srec file appreciably
since it was only a few bytes here and there.

LeJOS, on the other hand, skips around quite a bit.  There's an
initial segment (or two) that runs from 0x8000 to ~0xB500 and
a second high memory segment from 0xF000 to ~0xFB00.  Just
adding zeros as I did would make the download take too long, so
I think you'll have to peek at the download code and take into
account the memory gaps.

HTH,

Mark