 Robotics / RCX / 778
Re: Is Extreme Creatures Good? FOS stuff
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic, lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:04:25 GMT

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 05:59:57, "Joakim Olsson" <jocke@arjay.nu> wrote:

Ahh, to bad. I wonder if there are any other colors in "ultra bright"?

Yes.  Radio Schlock has a few:  orange,  definitely (but I think it's
one of the 10mm "jumbos",  so it wouldn't fit).  And I'm pretty sure
they have green in smaller sizes.

BG Micro (www.bgmicro.com) has some real stunners,  that have just hit
the market in the last few months.  I didn't get any of the white
ones,  but I bought some samples of the green,  blue,  and blue-green
ones.  A little spendy,  at US$2.95 apiece,  but they're literally
about 50-100 times the brightness of the ones you get for 10-20 cents.
They're beyond "cool",  and pushing "awesome".

At that price,  I haven't tried testing them to destruction,  so I
don't know whether they're as "fragile" as other blue LEDs (which tend
to be very sensitive to static,  and burn out easily if you overdrive
them).  If I were going to modify a FOS block,  I'd make sure that
there was a good protection circuit for the LED,  just in case.

They're 5mm diameter,  and I think there's a very good chance that the
FOS uses a 3mm,  so check before you buy (although the BG Micro ones
are neat enough to buy for other purposes,  too).

Actually I think there are LED's with only two legs with the "two-color"
feature.

Yup.  But Dean is right:  you have to change the polarity to switch
between the two "main" colors,  and use AC to get the third one.  You
can get some neat effects by varying the duty cycle:  I have some
Christmas lights that gradually change from red to green and back,
with various shades in between.  I haven't seen any bipolar
ultrabrights on the hobby market,  alas.

It probably couldn't be put in a stock FOS,  but there's an extremely
cool "multi-LED" that has red,  green,  and blue chips all in one 5mm
package (but with 6 legs:  it's very "distinctive"-looking).  By
varying the drive to the three,  you can make it look like almost any
color you want.  The brightness is only "high average",  though,  and
they cost US$5 a pop at the only US hobbyist vendor where I've seen
them (Gateway:  www.gatewayelex.com).

Ran