 Robotics / RCX / 70
    RCX Currnet Rating? —Michael Jorgensen
   Hi, I have a 9V adapter that will fit the RCX. It has a current rating of 200mA. What is the current rating for ther RCX? I have seen adapters that are rated from 100mA up to 800mA. Thx...MJ (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Currnet Rating? —Kekoa Proudfoot
     (...) I'd bet you are safe with a 200 mA adapter. I have been using a 120 mA adapter for a while now with no problems. -Kekoa (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Currnet Rating? —Arjen Gerstel
   MJ, The RCX itself does not need a lot of power. However, if you're going to run 2 motors off each output port (a total of 6), 200 mA won't be enough. I expect the motors to draw at least 100 mA each. Even more when stalled. Maximum power to be (...) (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Currnet Rating? —Peter Abrahamson
   The best way to avoid high current running thru the brick is to control a small red motor which drives one of the polarity switches which is hooked up to a battery pack and that in turn runs the main motors. We had this problem at the LEGO (...) (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Currnet Rating? —Arjen Gerstel
     You mean you use the red motor/switch combination as a sort of 'electronic' fuse? Oh, right. While I'm typing I suddenly see what you mean. You use an external power supply for the motors. Clever. Isn't the switching a little slow using the (...) (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

         Re: RCX Currnet Rating? —Peter Abrahamson
     Yes it is slow, if you count 1/2 a second slow, but not horrible. The big problem comes with control. Finding neutral again. NQC to the rescue. I find its better for this application than the RIS software. More open for creating servo control loops. (...) (25 years ago, 6-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Currnet Rating?: And info on Internals?? —Terry King
    I'm still not clear on exactly what the RCX enternal-power input will accept. Can anyone tell us what the internals really are?? If I view the RCX power connector closely, I read: 9-12V~ (nine dash one two Vee tilde) I would interpret that to mean: (...) (25 years ago, 12-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Currnet Rating?: And info on Internals?? —Kekoa Proudfoot
   (...) It is commonly believed that the RCX contains a full rectifier, so if you supplied AC, that would work, but more importantly, if you supplied either polarity of DC, that would work also. The conversion to AC also requires a sufficiently large (...) (25 years ago, 12-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

        Re: RCX Currnet Rating?: And info on Internals?? —Terry King
   Kekoa, Many Thanks for your tireless digging. I have seen a lot of very interesting stuff you have unearthed. I think that more is often learned about Engineering by 'Reverse Engineering' than 'forward'! Years ago I used to get tons of old IBM (...) (25 years ago, 12-Sep-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)