 Robotics / RCX / 2402
Re: A/C Adapter for RCX 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:12:26 GMT

"Purple Dave" <purpledave@maskofdestiny.com> wrote in message
news:HvF094.18ED@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jordan Bradford wrote:
I must also be blind. In tiny raised print just above the port on the • RCX, it
says "9-12V~".

Does it have a switch, or does it just magically figure out what voltage • to
supply?

Had I seen that I would never have asked my original question in the • first
place. But I'm still curious about whether the RCX runs on AC or DC • power.
Does it get changed to DC internally?

I have no idea.  You'd really need to ask someone who understands the guts • of
the RCX.  I also have no idea why TLC would use strictly AC adapters when • the US
is pretty much exclusively using DC adapters, but I suspect it might have
something to do with European/Danish standards.  Anyways, I know that most
portable radios can be run off of DC batteries or an AC power cord, but • that's a
little different because it's just a power cord, not an adapter.

The RCX and the train controller both utilize a circuit known as a bridge
rectifier.  A bridge rectifier is a series of diodes configured in such a
way to only allow voltage to flow in one direction.