 Robotics / RCX / 2401
Re: A/C Adapter for RCX 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 01:08:20 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, David Laswell wrote:
   In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   I must also be blind. In tiny raised print just above the port on the RCX, it says “9-12V~”.

Does it have a switch, or does it just magically figure out what voltage to supply?

The RCX has a bridge rectifier inside, that converts the AC to DC. It also has a voltage regulator that allows it to take a fairly large input voltage range.

You can safely power it with a DC supply, however I wouldn’t recommend leaving it on for a long time, as there have been reports of the rectifier burning out. If that happens, you should still be able to use batteries. You could also reverse the polarity of the input voltage, but that would probably burn out the other half of the rectifier eventually.

ROSCO