 Robotics / RCX / 2397
Re: A/C Adapter for RCX 1.0
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 30 Mar 2004 23:29:17 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jordan Bradford wrote:
   I bought an RCX with an AC adapter jack and an AC adapter from Pitsco. They arrived today. But when I opened the adapter I saw that it outputs 12V, not 9V. It’s an old Dacta AC adapter from 1996 (copyright date on packaging). I already tried using it with my RCX and measured the motor outputs, and I got about 9.5V for all of them. Do you think this adapter could cause damage over time? I want to know if I should send it back and use my 9V train AC adapter instead.

The LEGO adapters output AC voltage, but most retail adapters output DC, which will burn out your RCX. I’ve heard that you can find AC-output adapters at Radio Shack, but...

   Can I get a 9V adapter from LEGO? I also have one lying around someplace that lets me choose the output voltage . . . I could use that, too, but I’m a LEGO purist. Heh.

Trains still continue to use 9V AC adapters, so buying one isn’t a big deal. You can find them listed separately on Bricklink, but if you buy them from S@H you have to buy the whole Train regulator.