 Robotics / RCX / 2067
Re: Transmitting a message from the RCX to the PC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 12:30:59 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Michael Franklin Bosu writes:
Can somebody help me out with what is involved in transmitting a message from
the RCX to the PC. I have an application and I have tried to read the message
from the RCX on the PC, but i am not getting the desired results.

The one-byte messages supported by the RCX are not generally designed to go
from the RCX to the PC.  They are intended to go from the PC to the RCX, or
from one RCX to another.  One reason for this is that the original RS-232 IR
tower would not "listen" to IR unless it periodically sends out some data,
which made it very difficult for the PC to monitor for RCX messages without
stomping all over those messages.

That being said, you should be able to write your own software to use a USB
IR tower to listen for RCX communications and pluck out the one-byte message
values.  This is not incredibly difficult to do, but you will need to write
some custom DOS/Windows/Linux/Mac software that talks directly to the tower
instead of using the MindStorms SDK or any "off-the-shelf" software.

Perhaps a better way to get information from the RCX to the PC is to have
the PC poll the RCX.  Using the standard RCX firmware, you can store a data
value in one of the 32 program variables, then have the PC periodically send
an "interrogate variable value" opcode to the RCX.  The RCX will respond by
sending back the 16-bit value in that variable.  This will NOT work if you
have more than one RCX in the room, since they will all try to respond to
the PC poll and will walk all over each others' transmissions.

You could also look at the data logging features of the RCX.  This enables
the RCX to record a series of data values into a special buffer in the RCX
which can be uploaded later by a program running on the computer.  This is
good for sending data that is not time-critical, but obviously is not the
way to go if you need real-time messaging for your application.

Since you have still not provided more information about the programming
language/environment you are using or any details about your intended
application, it is difficult for anyone to provide you with a more detailed
response.  Instead of re-posting the same question every few days, you will
get better results if you give us more to work with.

I hope this helps.

- Chris.