 Robotics / RCX / 1812
1811  |  1813
Subject:
RCX and GPS systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:11:38 GMT

For sometime I have thought that a GPS interfaced with the RCX would be the
answer to my navigational prayers.  I have not found any information on an
interface for the RCX (GPS-RCX or GPS-PC-RCX).  I realize that this is not a
trivial task with proprietary protocols being involved and all.  I did find
a nice bit on Garmin's site regarding their protocol etc.  The physical
layer seems to based on a version of RS-232 (positive voltage only).  Also,
data can be transmitted in ASCII at the data level.

Here are the links:

http://www.garmin.com/support/pdf/iop_spec.pdf

http://www.garmin.com/support/text_out.html

So has anyone tried working on this, or is it that difficult/expensive that
it may not be worth it? I myself do not have the know how to pull all this off.

JL