 Robotics / RCX / 1815
Re: RCX and GPS systems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 2002 18:12:14 GMT

"Jeff Lalo" <jeff_lalo@hotmail.com> writes:

For sometime I have thought that a GPS interfaced with the RCX would be the
answer to my navigational prayers.  I have not found any information on an
interface for the RCX (GPS-RCX or GPS-PC-RCX).  I realize that this is not a
trivial task with proprietary protocols being involved and all.  I did find
a nice bit on Garmin's site regarding their protocol etc.  The physical
layer seems to based on a version of RS-232 (positive voltage only).  Also,
data can be transmitted in ASCII at the data level.

It might be possible to run an IR transmitter directly off it,
IIRC John Barnes posted a circuit diagram for that a while ago
(he might also sell these things).

Then you only need the software, where you need to send/receive
single characters, not the usual poackets.
That should be possible with brickOS and lejOS.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <stuber@loria.fr>
http://www.loria.fr/~stuber/