 Robotics / RCX / 173
Re: Interests in non-GNU C compiler for RIS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 02:37:34 GMT

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Richard F. Man wrote:
And robotics is my first love - in fact, the company was
started when I try to productize my subsumption architecture based
multitasking executive...

Ahah! Now *that* is interesting to me. Obviously (as the legOS HOWTO
maintainer), a gcc replacement doesn't really interest me, unless you have
a reliable solaris->h8300 cross-compiler, in which case maybe we can talk
:) However, I think I (as well as many other people in the educational
"market") would be very, very interested in seeing a really solid
subsumption-based language environment for the lego. Is there a URL where
I can get more info on this (if you are still in that biz?)

Please let me know what you think. The pricing on our current product is
$160-$199, but if there is a larger market for this, we can consider
dropping it to $50-$100 range. Our goal is to make money - this is our
day (and night and weekend) job, but if we do it, you can be sure that
it will be a very usable environment to program the RIS in - since I
will be one of the biggest users :-)

Well, the subsumption thing would be probably strictly educational- so
your market would be limited. OTOH, money might not be so much of an issue.

Another interesting possibility is that I do not believe execution speed
is of primary concern, so instead of doing a native C compiler, may be
we can release a Virtual Machine based compiler. We can release the API
of the VM and the VM itself as Open Source for people to hack around
too. Doing this is also easier than doing a native compiler, so perhaps
we can release this faster.

Again, I think this would be perfect for a subsumption language (if that
is in fact what you have already done.) Base the VM on legOS, and just
distribute the VM binary pre-compiled (so that people don't necessarily
need to compile anything themselves.) Of course, I'm not sure where your
profit fits into this model, but you've probably given that more thought
than I have.

Looking forward to discussing this seriously with you-
Luis

     Profanity is the one language that all programmers understand.
                  -Anonymous