 Robotics / RCX / 170
169  |  171
Subject:
Interests in non-GNU C compiler for RIS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 20:15:44 GMT

I know most lego alternative SW seems to be Open Source, but please
don't flame me for asking this question - ImageCraft is a company that
provides low cost C compilers for 8/16 bit microcontrollers such as
Atmel AVR, Moto HC11/12/16. While not Free as in Open Source, or Free as
in beer, we pride ourselves on providing easy to use, professional
quality tools at price 10x lower than that of traditional embedded
compilers. And robotics is my first love - in fact, the company was
started when I try to productize my subsumption architecture based
multitasking executive and found out that there is no low cost C
compiler out there. In fact, there are some mentioning of our ICC11
tools in the handyboard newsgroup.

Anyway, all this is a long-winded introduction to ask if anyone is
interested in having an easy to use ANSI C compiler for their RIS. I
know GCC is available and there is NQC, which looks to be a fantastic
piece of work, and of course there are pbForth and the JavaVM port in
progress. What we will bring to the community is an alternative to these
tools is an easy to use Windows environment, plus full C support (4 byte
longs and 4 bytes floats). If we do such a thing, we will make it
interoperable with LegOS etc. of course. We even sell Linux version of
our command line tools, FWIW.

Please let me know what you think. The pricing on our current product is
$160-$199, but if there is a larger market for this, we can consider
dropping it to $50-$100 range. Our goal is to make money - this is our
day (and night and weekend) job, but if we do it, you can be sure that
it will be a very usable environment to program the RIS in - since I
will be one of the biggest users :-)

Another interesting possibility is that I do not believe execution speed
is of primary concern, so instead of doing a native C compiler, may be
we can release a Virtual Machine based compiler. We can release the API
of the VM and the VM itself as Open Source for people to hack around
too. Doing this is also easier than doing a native compiler, so perhaps
we can release this faster.
--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com