 Robotics / RCX / 181
Re: Interests in non-GNU C compiler for RIS?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 16:17:58 GMT

Hello Luis, thanks for respomding (and thanks to others who have email me
privately...)

Luis Villa wrote:

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Richard F. Man wrote:
And robotics is my first love - in fact, the company was
started when I try to productize my subsumption architecture based
multitasking executive...

Ahah! Now *that* is interesting to me. Obviously (as the legOS HOWTO
maintainer), a gcc replacement doesn't really interest me, unless you have
a reliable solaris->h8300 cross-compiler, in which case maybe we can talk
:) However, I think I (as well as many other people in the educational
"market") would be very, very interested in seeing a really solid
subsumption-based language environment for the lego. Is there a URL where
I can get more info on this (if you are still in that biz?)

We got into the business selling REXIS (REal eXecutive for Intelligent Systems)
but stop after a couple years since  the support cost is too high :-( I may
resurrect it one of these days. Perhaps a pre-built box like the RCX is just
the right platform. If you do a web search, you probably will ifnd some old
link. Look what I found:

REXIS
         REXIS (Real-time EXecutive for Intelligent Systems) is a small
         multi-tasking preemptive real-time executive for implementing control
         programs for intelligent systems such as robotics and distributed
         networks. It provides functions for
         managing tasks, memory allocation, message ports, timers, and
         event processing.
                 It is distributed as shareware at a low cost to
         hobbyists / students.  The current requirements for compiling
         and running REXIS is an ANSI C HC11 cross compiler and a HC11
         target with at least 24K of RAM. Other targets are under
         consideration.  For more information, please contact
         Richard Man
         P.O. Box 6
         North Chelmsford, MA 01863
         (phone+FAX) (508) 452-5203
         imagecft@world.std.com, or
         man@labrea.zko.dec.com

Wow, that's from 8, or 9 years ago! The contact address is of course, incorrect
:-)!

Please let me know what you think. The pricing on our current product is
$160-$199, but if there is a larger market for this, we can consider
dropping it to $50-$100 range. Our goal is to make money - this is our
day (and night and weekend) job, but if we do it, you can be sure that
it will be a very usable environment to program the RIS in - since I
will be one of the biggest users :-)

Well, the subsumption thing would be probably strictly educational- so
your market would be limited. OTOH, money might not be so much of an issue.

Not quite sure how to parse this: Are you saying that the market may be
limited, but people who want it will buy it, and the cost is not too much of a
problem?

Another interesting possibility is that I do not believe execution speed
is of primary concern, so instead of doing a native C compiler, may be
we can release a Virtual Machine based compiler. We can release the API
of the VM and the VM itself as Open Source for people to hack around
too. Doing this is also easier than doing a native compiler, so perhaps
we can release this faster.

Again, I think this would be perfect for a subsumption language (if that
is in fact what you have already done.) Base the VM on legOS, and just
distribute the VM binary pre-compiled (so that people don't necessarily
need to compile anything themselves.) Of course, I'm not sure where your
profit fits into this model, but you've probably given that more thought
than I have.

So one possibility that you are pointint out is that I can have a subsumption
language that compiles to a VM, this VM will sit on top of LegOS? REXIS was
just C library, but I have given thoughts to a robotics based language with
builtin subsumption semantics (that is based on Brook's L), and builtin fuzzy
logic to boot. Interested? LegOS or something like that would be a prerequisite
for the multitasking support. I may have to build it into the VM though...

Looking forward to discussing this seriously with you-
Luis

--
// richard
http://www.imagecraft.com