 Robotics / RCX / 1679
Re: What about this for a new RCX 2.5 setup?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2002 22:42:33 GMT

Oh, and I forgot one of the "BIGGEST" wishes on the list:

5)  Linksys wireless access port response rather than the directional IR
port.  Or at least SOME form of 900MHz+ communication that is
non-directional, with higher bandwidth (who knows...maybe there will be
enough bandwidth some day for the video camera to be wireless through the
RCX).  Just seems like a network access point would be the most logical.

I know...this all seems like giant leaps and unrealistic requests, but who
would have thought you would even have something like an RCX 5 years ago?  Grin.

-Jeff McClain

In lugnet.robotics.rcx, Jeff McClain writes:
Seems to me that the BEST implementation of the RCX would be for some CORE
changes and feature sets to be built in.  I realize that these would be
somewhat expensive, but I would pay pretty good money to have an RCX with
the following specs (built in).  These aren't really in order of desire or
ease of implementation, so please be understanding on these "dream" ideas
(smirk):

1)  I REALLY want some sort of sensor unit that provides gyroscope data (for
level movement of a 6 legged climbing rough terrain robot).

2)  I REALLY think a builtin compass sensor would be useful.  If you coupled
this with the gyroscope, it would seem to me like you could build this into
a self contained cool addition to the RCX (like a 2" extension box that
plugs into the bottom of an RCX 2.5 or something).  Call it the RCX 2.5
Expansion or something.  Anyone know if Lego had any ideas/plans for
something like this?  Heck, throw in a temperature sensor as well, and
charge me $200 for it...I'd pay it.

3)  GPS chip built in.  GPS chips are getting VERY cheap these days.  Most
of the cost for hand held GPS units are in the casing and LCD display.  For
pretty rich features, you could natively include GPS support into an
expanded RCX+ device.  Guess the antanae for indoor use would be the only limit.

4)  As long as you are going to do this on a nice new upgraded RCX, why not
go ahead and throw in floating point functionality and builtin support for
trig functions?

mmmmm....built in functions for gps tracking, magnetic compass, temperature
sampling, gyroscope, trig...gahhh...

-Jeff McClain