 Robotics / RCX / 1359
Re: Be VERY careful with that train transformer (was:Proper power supply for a 1.0?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 14:13:35 GMT

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 04:09:08PM +0200, Kjell Krona wrote:
James Trobaugh wrote:

What is the proper voltage for a external power supply for a 1.0 RCX? Can I
use the power supply that goes with the 9v train speed regulator? I believe
the train transformer outputs 12VAC.

  [snip]

Beware! Some train transfomers (notably Marklin) uses 16 V AC!  In
all likelihood, you will quickly destroy your RCX using that kind of
power! IF you are going to use a train transfomer, in accordance with
the previous answer, check very carefully that it will give 12V DC
(which is what most two-rail systems will give, I believe). If in
doubt, check with voltage meter.

Personally, I have not tried this (my RCS is 1.5), so I cannot take
any responsibility for this recommendation. Please refer to previous
poster for responisibility....

heh, notice that the original question was about the "power supply that
goes with the 0v train spee dregulator" - so we're talking about lego
transformers, not just any train transformer.

:)

--
Dan Boger
dan@peeron.com