 Robotics / Palm Computing / 4
Re: BrickRemote
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.palm
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 19:57:19 GMT

Well,
I've now had reports from users with Palm III's and Palm Pros that haven't
any problems. So, if  you're willing--the more people that try it,
the better. I have a Palm Pro and haven't had any trouble of course. You can
install the program without having the cable. I'm just curious if other
people have problems installing it. If you don't have a cable/rcx  it will
hang for several seconds if you press a button because it's looking for the
IR tower/RCX. Since the buttons are used for navigating, hit the
applications icon to switch to another program.

Just so you know, I have had some experience with Palm programming. I  wrote
a card game for the Palm a couple years ago. Lots of people have downloaded
it and I've never had anybody write to me with a bug of any sort with that
program.

I'm just curious, how many people would be interested in programming the RCX
with their Palm? I think it would be tedious to do all the writing with the
stylus, but maybe some simplified programming would be good. For my kids
I've also been considering making a Scout-like interface for programming the
RCX, using the Palm. It would have the same limited functionality and
advantages of the Scout.  I think it would be fun, even for me, to be able
to build a bot and the fire up a quick-little routine to make it run around
the kitchen. And since it would be done on the Pilot, it would be very
portable. I could take it and modify to play in other people's kitchens as
well...

I don't have a Scout yet, but according to Robert Eddings on LugNet:

The scout has the following commands:
-MOTION- | -TOUCH- | -LIGHT-
forward  | reverse | seek
zigzag   | avoid   | avoid
circle   | waitfor | waitfor
loop     | brake   | brake

Mike

http://www.advancenet.net/~kory/pilot/

if you want to see the card game (its shareware, but you can play with it
some for free):
http://www.ux1.eiu.edu/~cffek/Cuarenta/Cuarenta.htm