 Robotics / NXT / 928
927  |  929
Subject:
Ultrasonic Sensor iS "Slow"
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2007 21:02:31 GMT

Original Thread title was "Re: Ooops!  NXT Software Comparison
correction / I2C Messaging Speed". I've renamed as worth a separate
thread.

John Hansen wrote on September 05, 2007 3:40 PM

The errors that occur are that the sensor does not properly report
variable distances as it is positioned at varying distances from an
obstacle.  If you slow down the read rate then it works correctly
(i.e., with a wait of ~15 ms between read transactions) but without
that delay it does not accurately reflect the varying distances as
it should.  I'm not talking about getting bus errors - just invalid
distance readings from the sensor.

You're right!! If you poll the sensor too fast, it definitely reports
wrong distances. I'm doing some more testing to characterize the error
performance.

For example, if you poll every 2-msec then it almost always reports 22
to 24 cm as distance regardless of the "real" value. A slight increase
in the delay and the reported distance seems to increase to a longer,
but wrong value.