 Robotics / NXT / 910
Re: Ooops! NXT Software Comparison correction
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sun, 2 Sep 2007 21:47:02 GMT

I can further manipulate the numbers for this timing test by using the enhanced
standard firmware's support for adjusting a thread's priority.

Here's the results when I tweak priorities:

W/O LCD    LCD         Priorities
---------------------------------
50617      22608       40/5
63211      27375       80/5
73418      31070       200/5

That's setting the USSensorTask (aka the cheat) to have a priority of 5 rather
than its default level of 20 and increasing the priority level of the
TimingLoopTask thread as shown.

The bottom line is if you really want to get a valid distance reading from the
LEGO Ultrasonic sensor then Steve's loop has a maximum iteration limit of ~4000
unless you cheat and move the sensor reading outside of the loop. Or you could
simply ignore the fact that the sensor is not returning accurate results and
report loop iteration counts that are erroneous. As it stands now the numbers
are not comparing apples to apples.

John Hansen