 Robotics / NXT / 800
Re: nxt interfaces with GPS using nxc or robotc?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:01:22 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Elizabeth Mabrey wrote:

I tried to interface my gps... using the NXC.

Unless John Hansen does some significant rewriting of the FW again, I don't
think you'll be talking to your GPS via NXC (or anything else based on the
standard FW). The problem is that GPS units like to send strings of charecters,
while the NXT FW wants to use specificly-formmatted messages direted to specific
mailboxes.

I'm not convince personally that it can't be done with the standard NXT firmware
yet but I quite possibly am missing something in my examination of the NXT
firmware sourcecode.  It seems like the incoming data should be copied into the
Bluetooth input buffer in the Comm module IOMap structure at least temporarily
while it is being interpretted.  But it may all happen so fast that there isn't
a chance to grab it from within program code.  I hope to get a chance to
properly investigate this soon.

You should be able to write any sort of data you want to a connected device and
the format of the output message does not have to be a direct command
MessageWrite message.  Just use BluetoothWrite in NXC to do that.

I may need to make a small tweak in my enhanced standard NXT firmware if the
official version is not exposing the raw Bluetooth incoming stream via the Comm
IOMap Bluetooth input buffer.

John Hansen