 Robotics / NXT / 695
Re: Classroom experiments gone awry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2007 03:02:29 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Brian Davis wrote:
In lugnet.robotics.nxt, Edwin Pilobello wrote:

Starting at a fixed point and heading, each team
marked where the dominant wheel stopped after 10
rotations for each "tick" on the steering slider
of the Move Block.

What do you mean by "dominant" here? And what is a "tick" on the steering slider
equal to? I've done something similar to figure out the behavior with respect to
the position of the steering slider, but this is a *great* place to introduce
the idea of wires (where exact values can be wired in).

I've conducted my own experiments for most of the night.
I recorded the readings off the Move block for the inside
motor and averaged 9 sets of results.

0.  100.0%    Straight
1.   97.7%
2.   93.5%
3.   89.5%
4.   86.2%
5.   82.9%
6.   78.8%
7.   69.3%
8.   58.1%
9.   15.8%    Had a small negative value to start with
10.-102.9%    Spin in place

What do you mean by percentages here? By "readings recorded off the Move block"
I would think you mean the degree readings in the feedback pane of the
configuration panel... but those are pure numbers. Are you saying the inside
wheel odometry reading is some percentage of the outer wheel odometry reading?

Vindication!

Or, perhaps something else was going on with the students trials. For instance,
are all of their data explainable by repeating readings? This is another test
they could do, I'd think. For that matter, they could try to combine their
datasets to get better results and identify outliers better.

I'm using terms of my own making. These are terms that seem to work with 10 - 12
year olds. By "dominant" I mean the wheel which measures the duration specified
in a turn.  Sometimes I use the term "outside wheel".

For example, a duration of 1000 degrees with the slider closer to the C motor
will make the B motor "dominant".  In other words, B would be the outside wheel.
C covers a distance equal to a percentage of 1000 degrees.

At the moment, the steering slider is still a novelty. When they're ready for
fine tuning, then I'll introduce data wires.

In the classroom, with a grid of 9x9 floor tiles, the physical activity seemed
appropriate for all four teams.  The floor was marked with masking tape where
the dominant wheel stopped.  On my dinner table, I ran the motors and recording
the degree readings off the feedback panel.  I actually used 1000 degrees for
the duration.  One tick off "0" averaged 977 degrees on the inside wheel and so
on and so on.

I moved the decimal point one place to the left to get a percentage.

I'm actually going to conduct this activity again with another class next week.
I'll report after that.