 Robotics / NXT / 689
688  |  690
Subject:
Classroom experiments gone awry
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.nxt
Date:
Thu, 26 Apr 2007 19:53:45 GMT

Imagine a classroom with eight 13-year old boys, paired up with a laptop and the
standard NXT Edu robot.  The 9x9 inch floor tiles made perfect for a little
experiment in derivation.  Starting at a fixed point and heading, each team
marked where the dominant wheel stopped after 10 rotations for each "tick" on
the steering slider of the Move Block.

Two of the robots had their wheels flush to the hubs, while the other two
extended two lego units to the tips of the axles.  The resulting plots on the
tile floor showed a nicely curved fabionacci sequence.

Question: What was the turn radius was for each of the "ticks" on the steering
slider?  How did the distance between the wheels affect the results?

This should have been a fairly easy object lesson.  It was, except something was
wrong.  One team had 8 marks for 10 tries.  Their 4 & 5 and 8 & 9 where exactly
the same. The other teams all had some anomally of some sort.  They swore by
their diligence in following the procedures.  How was this to be explained?
Fortunately, this teacher was saved by the bell.

I've conducted my own experiments for most of the night.  I recorded the
readings off the Move block for the inside motor and averaged 9 sets of results.

0.  100.0%    Straight
1.   97.7%
2.   93.5%
3.   89.5%
4.   86.2%
5.   82.9%
6.   78.8%
7.   69.3%
8.   58.1%
9.   15.8%    Had a small negative value to start with
10.-102.9%    Spin in place

I dd not get any of the aberrant readings the kids got.  So, I've concluded that
they inadvertently repeated some settings and missed others.

Vindication!